Trying to balance your daily schedule and your life is a very important task that is often regularly overlooked. Day-to-day tasks can involve important responsibilities (i.e. work and children), mundane household chores, and leisure and pleasurable activities. Bringing harmony and a healthy balance to your daily life has the potential to help with many different areas of functioning that can include:
- Minimizing stress
- Increasing efficiency
- Maintaining motivation
- Gaining more free time
Our lives can be very hectic and this could lead to over-thinking and stressing about what you can accomplish. There can be a tendency to either think of each task/responsibility as being equally important or that you can hold off with accomplishing things for another day. Sometimes this “either-or” can be helpful; however, finding the balance that best fits each of us can be a struggle.
Here are some tips that could help bring about consistency in your daily schedule:
- List your tasks and responsibilities. Recognize the different areas in your life (i.e. home, work and leisure) and their associated tasks.
- Prioritize these responsibilities. Which tasks “need” to be taken care of first or immediately, and which responsibilities can be accomplished at a later date?
- Have a user-friendly calendar or create a scheduler where you can list the time frame or date(s) to address your tasks. Be sure to have easy access to this calendar/scheduler. It may also be helpful to have multiple schedulers in case there is more than one person involved with tasks (i.e. family/children).
- Update the calendar/scheduler regularly. Set aside time each week to review what tasks have been accomplished, what still needs to be addressed and what responsibilities have been added to your plate in the meantime.
- Utilize your support system. Are there family members, friends or loved ones who can help you in any capacity?
- Make it a point to schedule in free time and healthy/pleasurable activities daily! Sometimes this can be considered “non-important” or “I don’t have enough time,” but fun time for you does not have to be extravagant. Devoting time daily to things that you enjoy and that bring you a sense of calm could help you remain energized and motivated and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.